Porte de Bourgogne (formerly known as Salinières) is a medieval gate located at the end of one of the major roads through the city, now called Cours Victor Hugo.
Cours Victor Hugo is a good dividing point between the older historic Saint Pierre neighbourhood and the more culturally diverse Saint-Michel further south.
This giant stone arch was erected in 1757 and marked the official entrance to the city on the old road from Paris. Until 1807, two smaller arches stood next to the arch on either side joining it to the surrounding buildings.
La Porte de Bourgogne is a fitting welcome to the left bank for those coming across the Pont de pierre; the road across the bridge comes directly toward the arch.
LOCAL TIP: A massive ceremony was held here in 1808 to welcome the emperor Napoleon Bonaparte to the city. It was listed as a monument of historic importance in 1921.